As many of you know, I am working on a book for young farmers. I am looking for examples of farmers that have successfully diversified their farm operations. I am looking for nontraditional examples. -Not necessarily the rancher that decides to just raise a different breed, but someone who has achieved true diversification in operation. Examples of what I am looking for would be:
- The row crop farmer who planted an orchard or vineyard on his least productive land.
- The vineyard manager that now also raises sheep to keep the cover crop down and for market.
- The corn/soybean farmer that set up his own solar array, wind turbine, or biofuel operation.
- The chicken farmer that struck a deal with the vegetable farmer to sell all the waste.
- The farmer/grower that is the only one growing a particular crop in any given area.
Put simply, I am looking for ag innovators.
Can any of you recommend some super successful, innovate, or unique ag industry figures for case studies / interviews for the book? Please email me your name and phone number, the name and phone and email of the person you are recommending, and how you know the individual. Send to: alex (at symbol) alextiller (dot) com. You can also contact me via email by clicking Here: Email Alex